I had an irritating issue with my IPA Server, and it had puzzled me for a while. It didn’t prevent things from
I could go to the reverse zone and add it just fine, and DNS resolution appeared to work without issue, however, it irritated me and I wanted to figure out what was going on. I first tried doing a Google search on the issue, however all I was really finding was some old archive issues on Red Hat’s Site regarding the issue, and it didn’t address my issue from what I could tell. It did give me some ideas though, so I began troubleshooting my DNS woes with dig and
# dig -x 192.168.1.53 ; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-73.el7_6 <<>> -x 192.168.1.53 ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 18079 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;18.104.22.168.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ;; Query time: 7 msec ;; SERVER: 22.214.171.124#53(126.96.36.199) ;; WHEN: Thu Feb 21 18:57:34 MST 2019 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 54
So, the dig command showed only a query and an additional, no answers. Upon learning this, I went to look at /etc/resolv.conf on the server itself.
# cat /etc/resolv.conf Generated by NetworkManager search home.therootuser.com nameserver 188.8.131.52 nameserver 184.108.40.206
Well that doesn’t look right does
Once the server rebooted, I did the dig command again.
# dig -x 192.168.1.53 ; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-73.el7_6 <<>> -x 192.168.1.53 ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10504 ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;220.127.116.11.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ;; ANSWER SECTION: 18.104.22.168.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR prometheus.home.therootuser.com. ;; AUTHORITY SECTION: 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN NS prometheus.home.therootuser.com. ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION: prometheus.home.therootuser.com. 1200 IN A 192.168.1.53 ;; Query time: 1 msec ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.53#53(192.168.1.53) ;; WHEN: Thu Feb 21 19:50:44 MST 2019 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 129
Ah, that is much better. This time I see 1 Query, 1 Answer, 1 Authority, and 2 Additional. So, now that it looks more promising, I went back to the IPA GUI and added a test A record, and told it to create the reverse record at the same time. This time it works without issue.
So in the end, the issue was adding DNS servers other than the DNS server, which caused the confusion. Not sure how it ended up this way, as I was sure it worked at some point, or why I put those DNS addresses in the